Saturday 14 October 2017

GLB's Tap Takeover takes top honours

We've had a few tap takeovers at Buster Rhino's over the years I've been hanging around the place, but none so anticipated as the Great Lakes Brewery takeover that took place Friday, October 6.

GLB, which is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, just might be the greatest brewery in the history of breweries. There are those who may call that hyperbole, but I stand behind my words.

Sure, Great Lakes has some competition for the title: My friends at Manantler in Bowmanville will always get my love, and I've been earning frequent flyer points lately for my visits to Bellwoods. Internationally, Stone Brewing in the U.S. (no one forgets their first love) is the Brewery That Can Do No Wrong and Epic Brewing of Aukland, New Zealand sent me (super awesome) beer.


But it always comes back to GLB. It could be because of their Tank Ten series of IPAs, which include Octopus Wants to Fight and Karma Citra, two of the finest examples of the style ever created. In fact, though their entire lineup is stellar, Tank Ten is probably why Great Lakes is number one.

My friend Robert (Drunk Polkeroo) did a collaboration brew with some other craft beer personalities at GLB's nerve centre in south Etobicoke back in February and snapped a picture of himself hugging Tank Ten. I was so jealous I scared myself. I told my friends I would marry Tank Ten if it was legal in this province. That scared them.

So I don't think my statement was hyperbole at all.

But the problem on October 6 was that I wasn't just a customer at Buster Rhino's any more. I also work there, and it was all hands on deck for the Friday night tap takeover, so I knew I'd be on duty for at least part of the evening.

But I had seen the walk-in fridge and with GLB kegs stacked floor to ceiling (okay, that's hyperbole, but the cooks, who had to climb over kegs to get the brisket and ribs would understand), I knew there would be plenty of beer for me when my shift was done.

Still, it was hard watching other people drink great beer while I did my non-beer drinking duties. But I understand sacrifice in the name of paying bills, so I persevered.

It was a packed house and everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves, so that was one consolation. And I got my entertainment watching Troy, GLB's Beer Rep Extraordinaire, do his thing behind the bar slinging beer for the customers.

He, in turn, got his entertainment watching me struggle with my phone. The picture I'm using of him in this blog, in fact, is a selfie because he gave up trying to pose for me and just took the damn picture himself.

No matter. Eventually Jessica released me from my commitments and I got to sidle up to the bar (Troy was long gone by this time) for a half-pint of Citraddiction, a Citra-hopped (naturally) session ale that hasn't been brewed for two years.

I have missed you Citraddiction.


Troy, GLB's beer rep, behind
the bar at Buster Rhino's
I followed that up with a flight, with Saison DuPump, the best Pumpkin beer I have ever had (that's not saying much, but still...), Sexy Poncho (a Farmhouse Ale made with blackberries), CanCon Session IPA, and Somewhere Down in Moxee, the brewery's excellent New England-style IPA.

Still thirsty, I opted for Audrey Hopburn next. This Belgian IPA, like Citraddiction, has been out of circulation for a couple of years and I welcomed its spicy goodness back. Next up was more Moxee before I chose Swamp Juice #40, wondering right after my first sip why I waited so long.
Darryl, our lovable, larger than
 life and legendary host,
poses with Gordie Levesque

Swamp Juice is a blend of three GLB beers, with the usual mix consisting of two Tank Ten IPAs and something more sessionable. This version was a blend of Octopus Wants to Fight and Karma Citra - which, as I mentioned earlier, are two of the finest IPAs in the world - and Canuck, the brewery's flagship (and wonderful) Pale Ale.

The blend was sublime. It was amazing. It was ... really damn good. Best Swamp juice. Ever.

I did my best to get through the rest of the lineup as well, which also included Karma Citra, the 30th Anniversary bourbon barrel-aged Imperial Stout (a big, bold 9.5 per cent beer made with coffee, cocoa and vanilla bean which I enjoyed back last winter at GLB's 30th birthday bash), and their regular Pumpkin Ale.

That one I didn't try - one pumpkin beer is enough for one night, I figure.

A helluva night it was, and I stumbled home happy in the knowledge there was plenty left for me to drink the rest of the week.

Troy may very well return as well, if only to retrieve the life-size cardboard cut-out of Gordie Levesque, the official mascot for Canuck Pale Ale, he left at the bar. Maybe I will have figured out how to take pictures on my phone by then.

I'm thinking probably not.

Left Field takes centre stage


Left Field, another great Toronto brewery, had its turn in the Buster Rhino's spotlight this fall as well and this Leslieville brewmaker was a big hit with the paying customers and staff alike.

The baseball-themed, four year-old brewery, owned by the husband-and-wife team of Mark and Mandie Murphy, has helped Toronto's east end explode as a brewing hotspot.

And they brought their heavy hitters to Oshawa on September 16.

Laser Show is an eight per cent ABV Imperial New England-style IPA that has been on tap at the bar many times. It's all pine and orange with some dankness on the back end and it's dangerously good.

But my favourite beer from the tap takeover was Greenwood, another IPA - 6.3 per cent this time - with that distinctive Vermont yeast strain that defines the style so well. This was a new one for me and I loved it. Smooth tasting with a burst of citrus that left my mouth feeling happy.

I ordered the beer all week until it was tapped out.

If I'm picking the taps that emptied the quickest, however, it would be the Sours, especially Bang Bang, which was a favourite of staff. Nancy, in particular, couldn't get enough of the stuff.

And why not - it was tart (but not puckering) and lemony with an intoxicating aroma. Citrusy and delicious.

Greenwood IPA from Left Field
Squeeze Play Sour, made with pink lemonade, was a pretty popular beer as well, and the brewery brought a couple of Saisons that piqued the interest of many of our regulars: Sunlight Park, a Grapefruit Saison that was tart and tasty and a perfect summer sipper, and Cranberry Park.

And then I was on to a trio of beers right in my wheelhouse. Super Prospect - Citra, is a 7.1 per cent ABV single-hop IPA that was fresh and citrusy up front before finishing bitter and delicious.

Maris, named for the legendary Yankee star Roger Maris - Mr. 61 home runs - was less friendly to my palate, as I found it rich and malty with grassy notes. It just didn't hit the sweet spot for me.

Callum, a pal who is at Buster Rhino's so often his brewery t-shirt (and other swag) collection is ten times mine, loved the stuff though.

Passion Fruit Day Game, a Session IPA, quickly restored my faith in humanity. I've enjoyed this beer before, and this brew hits with power that belies its 3.9 per cent ABV status, delivering 60 IBUs. There's big tropical fruit up front, with more tropical goodness and citrus on the way down.

One of my favourites in the style.

I sampled Eephus next, an Oatmeal Brown Ale that is always smooth and delicious, and failed to hit up only Bricks and Mortar, a Coffee Porter.

Next time.

Cheers!










No comments:

Post a Comment