Tuesday 24 December 2019


First published in 2013, I tweak it a bit from time to time. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all in this great city! We will get through this to hug again

The Night Before Christmas


Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Shwa
Not a creature was stirring, not even the law
My IPA was spiked with the finest in cheap gin
St Nicholas would know that was a win

My youngest was nestled all snug in his bed,
While visions of Mem Cup tickets danced in his head
And me in my boxers, the presents in a heap
Had just passed out for a short Christmas sleep

When out on the driveway there arose such a din
I sprang from the couch, knocking over the gin
Away to the door I ran but I stumbled
My boxers were tattered my fingers they fumbled

I made it outside in time to see a rare thing
The Mayor of Oshawa in full gangsta bling
He gave me a nod to say it was safe to go home
He didn’t see the sleigh all shiny and chromed

The man in the suit, I knew him straight away
I saw him downtown already today
His sleigh-pulling team, faster than eagles
Was six new Sierras and a used Buick Regal

Now Davis and Kornic! Now Giberson I say!
On Bell! On Julius! On Rosemary and Gray!
To the top of the building! To the top of the sky!
I put down the bottle ‘cause I must be too high

As dry heaves convulse me for I’ve seen far too much
I’ve seen bloody Santa Claus, his presents and such
I shielded my eyes as his sleigh-cars they glistened
I knew he was real, if only they listened

And then, in a flash I heard a noise on my ceiling
Like the sounds from the BIA, when one side’s appealing
I raced in the house in time to see Big Red
The jolly guy himself asleep on my bed

He was dressed in bright red, trimmed in black leather
He looked like he could handle any foul weather
His big sack of toys had fallen to the floor
The mud from his boots left a trail to the door

His eyes, how they sparkled! I’d say if he woke
But alas! I just hoped he hadn’t had a stroke
His face was all crimson, that was a concern
I hoped it wasn't Covid; perhaps just sunburn

His lips lacked the pipe he smoked in the day
Santa quit smoking, hip hip and hooray!
He had a kind little face and a six-pack for a tummy
He’d been to the gym; Mrs. Claus didn’t raise no dummy

He jumped to his feet; Santa was ready to go
There were kids to appease, he couldn’t say no
He gave me a smile, a nod and a wink
And said he’s off to drop toys at Harmon Park rink

He floated out the window and onto his sleigh
And revved up the engines, like’s he’s done each day
He gave me a wave and he soared o’er the trees
The Oshawa Centre be the next thing he sees

He blared all his horns as his sleigh flew away
Christmas, he yelled, comes only today
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

No comments:

Post a Comment