Monday 9 July 2018

Deadpool with the Redmond boys


As a Marvel comics guy, I try to keep up with all the movies the entertainment giant puts out.

But my usual movie watching partner is my youngest son and the J Man has lost interest in going to the movies these days, so I've fallen behind. I still haven't seen Black Panther and I ended up watching the latest Avengers blockbuster alone.

So when Deadpool 2 was released last month I was determined to find a date for the movie. First up was Jake but his response was predictable: "No thanks Dad, but thanks for asking."

Imma go with that response anyway.

I moved on to women next, but their responses weren't any more promising: "Sorry, I'm too busy this week," and "I'm washing my hair that night," and "That'll be $1.75 sir. Next customer please."

Deadpool!
I figured I might be seeing Deadpool solo until I happened on a Twitter thread where my friend Hago - also know as the World's Greatest Beer Videographer - was thanking Beer Bro Don for the awesome U.S. beers he received from his recent visit with Don for the Liquid Arts Festival.

And I remembered Donny Vegas had promised me some American IPAs when he touched down from his latest trip from, well, Vegas.

"I hope you have some left," I asked him, thinking it had been a couple of weeks and Don, being much older than I, might have forgot to set a few aside.

"No worries dude. I have lots left for you. When are you coming down to get it?"
"How about this weekend," I offered. "What are you doing Sunday?"

Daddy and David. I told you
he was a great hugger
As it turned out, he had his son David over for the weekend and Sunday's schedule had but one item circled in red on their itinerary: Deadpool 2. "You are welcome to come," he said.

I'm in.

I see my old college chum a bunch of times through the year but I don't get to see David often enough. He's just about the coolest kid around - though, at 27 he's not really a kid anymore - and he might just be the best hugger on the planet. I'm not going to say no to this invitation.

So after visiting my folks in west end Toronto, and after a stop at Bellwoods-Hafis to pad out my mini-case of tasties from Town, Little Beasts and Manantler, I headed to Oakville and Falgarwood Estates.

We didn't waste much time after my arrival before we piled into my whip for the short drive to the Cineplex theatres on Winston Churchill.

I didn't think it was that funny, but
David clearly did
The movie was amazing - no spoilers here for those who haven't seen it, but it was incredibly funny - and the company was excellent, and we followed up the movie with dinner and beers (for Don and I) at 3 Brewers, a regular meeting place for our beer sharing.

It's also where I learned there is one thing you can do to wipe the perpetual smile off David's face: steal his fries. I snuck one fry away from him, which elicited a pause and a raised eyebrow. The second stolen beer-battered fry, however, earned me the 'look' and an unspoken message that I should keep my eyes on my own fries.

Sorry buddy.

We headed back to Falgarwood Estates after dinner for a quick pint before I had to turn the car in the direction of Oshawa and head home. Don's offer to stay and drink was tempting, but, you know, work in the morning and all that.

Which just left the beer exchange. Don got his four-pack and then he gave me his care package, which included - just for starters - a foursome of wicked beers from the south of the border.

There was Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter - a hop oil-infused IPA - and Lagunitas Little Sumpin'. There was also Squatter's Hop Rising (nine per cent) and Left Coast Hop Juice, a ten per cent Triple IPA.

Holy shit!

But there was more. Don also included a variety eight-pack from Wellington Brewery, Canada's oldest independently owned microbrewery and one that is enjoying a renaissance of late, with some new recipes and fresh artwork.

I've had just three of the beers so far - Upside IPA, Against the Current (a blackcurrant Kettle Sour) and Bewitched Belgian IPA - and you can colour me very much impressed.

Thanks Don. And thank David, too. Let's do this again some time soon.

Patio time (and a Brittni's Mom update)


I had a loverly time on the patio at Buster's Sunday night, chilling with friends and enjoying the cool breezes.

But this time I just closed one bar down.

I think there is some symbolism
in this photo but I'll be damned
if I can figure out what it is
Brittni was there and so was Cal and Jeff, and we enjoyed some nachos, a few beers - I finally tried a Brut IPA (Great Lake's Brutalism) - and we even got in a couple of games of euchre, with Jesse arriving after the first game to learn a few tricks.

Brittni and I (did you doubt us?) won both games. .

We also swapped stories, and in Brittni's case, that meant an update on her mom and my quest to get a date with the very beautiful Brenda.

I learned that Brenda has now been told about the blog - Blame Brittni - and while seemingly amused someone who had never met her would put her in a blog, had not yet actually read it.

Now you have something else to read Brenda.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment