Thursday 24 December 2015

Found beer is the best beer - especially at Christmas time

When Stone beer was introduced to Ontario liquor stores in the spring it was a really big deal in the craft beer community but it was a HUGE deal for me. Stone, you see, is the brewery that can do no wrong and is my favourite brewery in the world.

So when the Escondido, California brewers announced they were sending Stone IPA, Cali-Belgique IPA and Arrogant Bastard - an iconic American Strong Ale that propelled Stone into the marketplace nearly two decades ago - to the LCBO I was naturally excited.

And I snapped up some of each when they arrived and continued to do so until one day a month or so later they were gone.

Save for an appearance at my local in early summer I haven't seen Arrogant Bastard since.

Until 5:30 this morning - Christmas Eve morning - when I found a bottle in a bus shelter in Ajax.

I work with a bunch of macro beer drinkers who wouldn't know an Arrogant Bastard ale from a Coors Light (fail) and I expect if one of them discovered the bottle on their morning litter run it would disappear into the nearest garbage bin.

But not me. I knew what it was and I let everyone know what I found: Seven point two per cent of malty, hoppy goodness in a bottle and only three-plus months past the best before date.

It was love.

But where did it come from?

Stone has been discontinued at the LCBO and my research found there are a few bottles scattered
around some downtown outlets but none in the Ajax store, which is located directly behind the bus stop in question.

So it had to come from someone's stash - there is a small housing subdivision on the other side of Kingston Road - and it was simply left it behind in the bus shelter as he or she left home to go to a party.

Merry Christmas ya Arrogant Bastard.
I know it sucks to lose something precious but if the person who lost the bottle is reading this, take comfort in the knowledge that (as I write this) it is being put to good use.

Thank you.

I found $20 yesterday, so today was the second day in row in which I left work richer than when I arrived. They say good things come in three, so tomorrow should be wonderful as well and well, pass me the antlers and call me Rudolph but it's Christmas tomorrow so there you go.

It's a special weekend for me, actually, as I am taking the J Man with me to a cottage near Bobcaygeon for a reunion with the Scottish clan and my cousin Neil, who has arrived with his family from Australia after a decade or so away and might have even remembered to bring an Australian IPA or two with him.

(He may have forgotten too, but I won't mind. Miss you Cuz.)

The following day my family celebrates Christmas at my daughter Adrianne's beautiful farmhouse near Millbrook so I am seriously stoked for the weekend.

Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone!.




1 comment:

  1. No offence taken as one of your co-workers... Even though you are correct in our lack of knowledge and class when it comes to beer. And truth be told, after the coffee and breakfast sandwich I think you left with more like a toonie than a twenty. So I guess the beer was definitely the better find. Wonder what Saturday will bring?

    ReplyDelete