Monday 3 November 2014



Racing 'round the world in 108 days


I had all but given up hope that the three Canadian IPAs I mailed to my buddy Steve in New Zealand would ever arrive.

Perhaps they fell off the sea turtle's back on the long sea voyage or, more likely, they were confiscated by an over zealous customs agent somewhere between Vancouver and Wellington.

It being illegal to ship beer without a proper permit and all.

And yet, there was Steve, 14,178 kilometres away (as the crow flies), crowing to the collective Musketeers that he had finally received his prize.
One-hundred and eight days later. That's 108 days to ship a two-pound package from Oshawa, Ontario to Wellington, New Zealand.
Wow.

I don't even remember what the original bet was for - something about the Leafs not making the playoffs I imagine, as Steve is a notorious Leaf hater and Leaf fan baiter. It's probably in this blog Your beer is on its way from July 20, which I wrote three days after mailing two Red Racers (Central City, Surrey, B.C.) and one Headstock (Nickel Brook, Burlington).

The Headstock made the delivery cut just because it's awesome, and I remember Steve wanting Red Racer because Central City Brewery was founded by an old bartending pal, Gary Lohin. But Steve was long gone from Vancouver to the land down under before the brewery got off the ground so he never got a chance to enjoy the fruits of Lohin's labour.
Until now.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm happy as a clam that my pal finally got his beer and my $27 outlay (plus $7.85 for the beer and a few bucks for the bubble wrap) did not go for nought.

But 108 days? Nearly five months? 

Not exactly impressive delivery numbers.

Like I said, I had given up hope on the beer ever arriving and Steve probably was beginning to doubt I ever sent them. So I was shocked when I saw these pics on my Facebook feed this morning. Shocked but very happy.

Steve seemed to be a bit less surprised, however.
"It occurred to me after I was enjoying the Red Racer that the boat ride to get it here had to start with a land-roving mission to get from Oshawa to one of the two coasts. I keep forgetting you guys don't live on an ocean," he said, the beery drool running down his cheek, likely making him forgetful after all these years about the geography of his home province. "So then it was likely via a truck or train ... or mule wagon. THEN a slow boat that likely hit China on the way."

"It's that slow boat that gets you every time."

Perhaps Steve. But that's still no excuse for 108 days at sea.

I expect Steve to benefit the most by this successful (finally) shipping exercise as the other Musketeers have been galvanized into action on sending our Kiwi cousin a larger, more comprehensive beer care package, one that is more representative of the wonderful craft beers we have in Ontario.

I told them it would be very expensive. They said Steve (and our New Zealand friend Neil Miller - the nation's reigning Beer Writer of the Year - who would also benefit from the delivery) was worth it.
I guess.

Not only that, but they're actually talking about sending them via an upgraded postal package. Preferably one that doesn't include sea turtles or mule wagon rides.

I tell you what was worth it: seeing this picture. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Enjoy your Canadian IPAs, Steve. Plenty more where they come from.





No comments:

Post a Comment