Thursday 25 September 2014

Earning my Triple Crown (without the aid of a drinking helmet)

I don't know if there's a special ceremony for a man's first Triple IPA, but I thought there should be.

I found Devil Dancer, a 12 per cent hop and malt monster from Founder's Brewing in Kalamazoo, Michigan, at a Consumer`s Beverages outlet in Niagara Falls. Having never tried such a rare treat, I couldn`t pass it up, despite its nearly $10 price for a 355 ml bottle.

Still, I waited several days after I returned home before breaking out the bottle. I didn`t light any candles or perform any special rituals, save for a cryptic message on Facebook stating that it was "time."

A few of my friends yawned or asked "time for what," while others understood the gravity of the situation (Marie) and said they were jealous.

That's the response I was going for.

As for the beer, I can tell you it was definitely something that should have required my drinking helmet. With 112 IBUs, this was powerful stuff.

Devil Dancer Triple IPA (Founders)

The rare and illusive Triple IPA
Pours dark and oily with a creamy, almost stout-like head. Smell is all bitter piney hops. Taste is pine, alcohol, roasted caramel and subtle hints of citrus, though that is the only thing subtle about it. Extremely smooth for a 12 per cent beer and though I can taste the alcohol, it is muted. This is dry-hopped for 26 days using ten different hops and the result is big, bold and boozy, like Andre the Giant on a 100-beer binge.

I followed up that bottle with a bomber of another new (and rare) beer: Racer X from Bear Republic in Cloverdale, California. I've had their excellent Racer 5 IPA before but this IIPA? New to me.

Racer X (Bear Republic)

This beer is not to be taken lightly either, with 100-plus IBUs and 8.3 per cent alcohol, though drinking helmets were not mandatory. It poured a cloudy bronze with a creamy head and a strong citrus aroma on the nose. I got orange, dark fruits and floral flavours, along with pine and sweet malts, more citrus and a bit of booze at the finish. Damn good, and Rate Beer certainly agreed: it scored a perfect 100.

I decided then, even though it was already an hour past my bedtime (four a.m. comes early out here), I had to have an IPA before I hit the sack. I mean, a Triple IPA, followed by a Double IPA? It stood to reason that I had to go for the triple crown, so I chose Finestkind IPA from Smuttynose Brewing in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Finestkind IPA (Smuttynose)

This 6.9 per cent beer scored a 96 on Rate Beer, which is not too shabby at all. I got tangerine, light pine and a hint of pineapple. There's a little sweetness with the malts and plenty of tartness with the hops. Not an overpowering beer but nicely balanced. Really good.

Seeing as I still have a bunch of new beers from the trip to rate, I'll get to some of them now. Specifically, the west coast beers. Four from California and one from Seattle, Washington.

Stone IPA

Poured a rich golden with citrus on the nose. Nicely balanced: grapefruit and orange on the tongue, pleasant bitterness on the finish. 6.9 per cent 70-plus IBUs. Pretty awesome beer and Rate Beer agreed. giving it a perfect score.

Hop Ottin' IPA (Anderson Valley)

Pours a deep bronze. Prominent malts hit you first, followed by lemony hops which trickle in all subtle-like. Bready backbone on the finish. But I was expecting a bit more (especially hops) from an IPA rated 97 on Rate Beer.

Unapologetic IPA (Stone Brewing, in collaboration with Beachwood and Heretic Brewers)

This is a big beer. Nine per cent with 90 IBUs, this collaboration scored 98 on Rate Beer. This is also a malt-forward IPA, not normally my style, that I absolutely loved. The booze is masked nicely but there is a solid sweet malt backbone and some potent piney hops at the end to ensure you show this brew respect.

Sweet Baby Jesus! Nine per cent and 90 IBUs and it's soooo smooth. I get dark fruits and bitter orange and some seriously earthy hops. Why can't everyone make beers like this?

Alesmith IPA

Cloudy orange pour, all pine and sweet malts on the nose, powerful hop punch on the palate. Tangerine, plums, tropical fruits, grapefruit vie for top honours with a solid malt base. Top notch IPA with a 100 score. San Diego classic

The Immortal IPA (Elysian)

This northwest beer scored a little lower than its friends - 91 - but wasn't a bad brew at all. It was bright and citrusy with a nice bitter finish.

Cheers!








No comments:

Post a Comment